Return to Headlines

UPDATE: Isolated Fire at CASHS

At approximately 9:15 AM at Chambersburg Area Senior High School (CASHS), a battery pack used for cleaning equipment overheated, causing smoke to fill portions of the building. All students and staff were quickly evacuated and emergency responders were dispatched to the school. No students, staff, or first responders were injured due to the smoke. As a safety precaution, all CASHS students were sent home for the day.

Within an hour of the evacuation of the building, buses began to arrive at CASHS and by approximately 10:30 AM, all students were released to return home. The District thanks the transportation department & bus drivers, Chambersburg Borough Police, fire personnel, and first responders for help with the evacuation and transportation of students.

“I am very pleased with how students, staff, and faculty reacted to this non-planned emergency,” said Bradly Ocker, principal at CASHS. “All students waited patiently and conducted themselves professionally. Even with over 2000 students, we did not have a single incident related to the evacuation today.”

CASHS faculty and staff have returned to the building for the remainder of the day and school will proceed as scheduled tomorrow. All evening events at CASHS will be held as planned.

Student belongings that were left due to the evacuation may be picked up today by 2:45 PM. Otherwise, students may retrieve items tomorrow morning.

For questions or comments, please reach out to CASHS Principal Bradly Ocker at 717-261-3329.