November 2, 2020 - Important COVID-19 Message Concerning CAMS South, Scotland Elementary School, CASHS, and Hamilton Heights Elementary School
On October 30th, the Chambersburg Area School District administration was notified of two positive cases of COVID-19: one at Chambersburg Area Middle School South and one at Scotland Elementary School. The cases involve an 8th grade student and a 3rd grade student. On October 31st, two additional cases were confirmed: one staff member at CAMS South and a 2nd grade student at Hamilton Heights Elementary School. On November 2nd, additional cases were confirmed: a kindergarten student at Hamilton Heights Elementary School, an 11th grade student at CASHS, and two students (1st & 3rd) at Scotland Elementary School.
After discussions with the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and out of an abundance of caution, the following groups of students will transition to all virtual learning starting November 2nd:
- CAMS South
- TEAM 8A
- Part of the 6th & 7th grade team
- Scotland Elementary School
- All 3rd grade students
- Part of the 1st grade team
- Hamilton Heights Elementary School
- Part of the 2nd grade team
- Part of the kindergarten team
- Chambersburg Area Senior High School
- Identified and contacted students across multiple grades
Teachers will communicate directly with families on both the AA and BB schedules regarding continuity of education during the closure. Virtual learning will begin November 2, 2020, and continue through November 13, 2020. Affected students will return to buildings the week of November 16, 2020, using their predetermined AA or BB schedule. All other students will attend as normal during this time.
Families and students affected will be called directly by school building staff.
Additionally, during the closure, all areas within these teams will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected, beyond the regular and extensive cleaning that already occurs daily.
The Pennsylvania Department of Health, together with Chambersburg Area School District, conducted the contact tracing investigation. Individuals identified as close contacts will be contacted by PA DoH and/or Chambersburg administration. If an individual is not contacted by PA DoH and/or CASD, the individual is not considered to be a close contact. Please be aware that Chambersburg Area School District has multiple employees who are certified contract tracers.
- Close contact is defined by the CDC as anyone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes starting from 48 hours before the person began feeling sick until the time the patient was isolated.
Please know that we sincerely understand that this message may cause some concern. Remain assured that we will continue to closely monitor this situation and will provide additional information as needed. If you have questions, please contact:
- Chambersburg Area Middle School South office at 717-261-3385
- Scotland Elementary School office at 717-261-3460
- Hamilton Heights Elementary School office at 717-261-3448
- Chambersburg Area Senior High School office at 717-261-3322
In order for CASD schools to remain open during this difficult time, we ask for your help: please remain vigilant about following CDC and Pennsylvania Department of Health guidelines by practicing social distancing, wearing face coverings when appropriate, and washing your hands regularly. Additionally, as a friendly reminder, please review the CASD Parent/Guardian & Student Expectations and monitor your child daily for illness and keep them home should they display any symptoms.