September 24, 2020 - Reopening Update and Instruction Options
Dear CASD families,
We are pleased to announce that on Tuesday, September 22, the CASD Board of Directors approved a plan to provide educational choice to families which includes:
- a hybrid model of in-person learning,
- virtual learning (as is happening now), or
- learning via our CAVE program.
- Elementary in-person students will attend school beginning the week of
October 19, 2020.
- Secondary in-person students will attend school beginning the week of
October 26, 2020.
IMMEDIATE PARENT ACTION IS NEEDED: To provide such a choice, we need families to elect an educational option for their child(ren). Please do so in your Sapphire account no later than midnight, Monday, September 28, 2020.
- Hybrid AA/BB In-person Instruction: “AA/BB” means that students in the “A” group will attend in person on Mondays and Tuesdays. Students in the “B” group will attend in person on Thursdays and Fridays. Students with last names A-K will attend Mondays and Tuesdays, and students with last names L-Z will attend Thursdays and Fridays (To keep families together, students with different last names in the same household will attend based on the last name of the oldest sibling.). When students are not in person, they may either be working independently or be in a virtual lesson with their teacher. On Wednesdays, all students will complete assigned course work independently.
* Please note that there will be some minor adjustments to assignments to A or B groups to equalize school and class enrollment to ensure appropriate social distancing and for extenuating circumstances.
- Virtual, Teacher-led Instruction: Following our current model, students will log into Google classrooms/Google Meet and receive live virtual instruction from teachers on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Wednesdays, students will complete assigned course work independently.
- Chambersburg Area Virtual Education (CAVE): Students engage in virtual learning at their own pace by logging into the CASD learning management system and completing assignments. Student schedules are determined by the parent/guardian.
- Students with IEPs and ESL Level I students will attend Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. These students include Itinerant, Supplemental and full-time students with IEPs covering Learning Support, Autistic Support, Life Skills Support, Intensive Learning Support, and Emotional Support. The following students will follow the “AA/BB” model: those with Speech only IEPs, Gifted Support, and students with 504 Service Agreements. Students who have out-of-district placements will continue to follow their out-of-district schedule.
- Facial Covering Requirement: In accordance with our approved CASD Health and Safety Plan, students returning for in-person instruction will be required to wear a facial covering (mask, face shield, etc.) while on school buses and on the school property.
- Elementary (K-5) Schedule Change: Beginning Wednesday, September 30th, all students K-5 will complete assigned course work independently on Wednesdays. Students will not log into live Google classroom meetings on those days.
- September 22 Board Meeting Reopening Presentation: At the board meeting on Wednesday, staff presented a comprehensive document outlining current COVID-19 data, results from our parent and staff surveys, department considerations for reopening, and various options for reopening. You may view the presentation here.
More information will be forthcoming from the District and your child(ren)’s principal in the very near future. Please contact your child(ren)’s teacher or principal if you have any questions at this time.
Dr. Dion Betts
Superintendent of Schools
Chambersburg Area School District