March 13th, 2020 - All CASD Schools & Buildings Closed March 16th-27th
*UPDATED* -03/13/20 - 4:56 PM - Gov. Wolf has officially ordered all PA school districts closed from March 16th through 27th. In accordance with this order, CASD buildings will also be closed Monday the 16th. Read more:
Dear CASD families,
In the past 24 hours, state and federal agencies, as well as private organizations, have taken dramatic steps to limit the growing number of presumptive and confirmed cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Out of an abundance of caution for our students and staff, and with a sincere desire to keep our community safe, the Chambersburg Area School District will close all schools from March 16th through March 27th. Schools are scheduled to open again on March 30th.
This action is taken with the consideration of statewide guidance provided by Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf and Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine. The guidance, which goes into effect today, March 13th, strongly encourages social distancing, which includes the suspension of large gatherings and events for a two-week period. In addition, the guidance discourages individuals from traveling to recreational activities like gyms, movie theaters and shopping malls.
Though, as of today, 03/13/20, there are no confirmed or presumptive cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Franklin County, we believe it is our responsibility to implement social distancing measures to protect our students and staff, and to mitigate the potential for Coronavirus to spread in our community. In addition to schools closing, the following actions will be taken:
- There will be no educational programming for students during this time.
- All extracurricular, athletics events/practices, and after school events will be cancelled.
- All non-district organizations will no longer be permitted to use or rent district owned facilities before or after school hours, or on weekends.
- No district-sponsored travel will be permitted outside of Pennsylvania or to/through Montgomery County. This refers to any travel by students or employees that is paid for, either in part or in whole, by CASD. Common examples include academic field trips and athletics.
As this situation is rapidly evolving, the district will continue to provide regular updates to parents, guardians, and concerned community members via our COVID-19 website portal (https://www.casdonline.org/covid19), social media channels (Facebook/Twitter/Instagram), and and with direct calls and e-mails home to families.
Below are some practical steps you can take to help curb the spread of COVID-19 in our community:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover any coughs or sneezes with your elbow, not your hands.
- Clean surfaces frequently.
- If you are sick, stay home until you are feeling better.
- If you, your child, or a family member are exhibiting signs of COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath) CALL your healthcare provider. Additionally, you can call 1-877-PA-HEALTH (24/7) for information and assistance from the PA Department of Health.
I want to thank you for your patience.
Dr. Dion Betts
Superintendent of Schools
Chambersburg Area School District