COMPUTER APPLICATIONS Grade 6
CAREERS Grade 8
Hello! I am Mrs. Brooks, and I teach 6th grade Computer Applications and 8th grade Careers. If you are a student in my class, you should have received an Invite in Google Classroom to join my class. If you did not receive an Invite and my class if on your schedule, please let me know.
I can be contacted using school email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or email me through Edgenuity. I will also have office hours from 10-12 and 12:30 to 2:50 on Wednesdays at google meet code xfp-bmxz-gbk.
Daily class schedules are as follows:
Class 8:15 - 9:00
Class 9:00 - 9:45
Class 10:15 - 11:00
Class 11:00 - 11:45
Class 12:45 - 1:30
Class 1:30 - 2:15
Computer Applications Class - Grade 6
Welcome to Computer Applications class here at CAMS South!
As we work through the course, if you are absent, or behind in class, please make up any missing work in a timely manner. Please check Sapphire at home or at school to keep up with any assignments you may be missing. I am available for assistance during Activity Period as necessary.
Below is a copy of the Computer Applications Syllabus we will be using this year.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me at email@example.com . or through Edgenuity.
Computer Applications Class Syllabus
CAMS South *** Mrs. Brooks
Careers Class (8th Grade)
Welcome to Careers class here at CAMS South! I am looking forward to working with you as we explore many aspects of your future as they relate to your career choice.
As we work through the course, if you are absent, or behind in class, please make up any missing work in a timely manner. Please check Sapphire at home or at school to keep up with any assignments you may be missing. Passes are available on a daily basis for your use during Activity Period. It is your responsibility to see me for a pass.
Below is a copy of the Careers Syllabus we will be using this year.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact me through Edgenuity.
Careers Class Syllabus
Welcome to the 8th Grade Careers Class! I know it seems early to be discussing Careers as an 8th grader, but in preparation for your high school course selection (it will be here before you know it!) it’s important for you to choose a direction to pursue based on your interests, skills, and goals.
Things are obviously different this year as we approach the year in a virtual manner. Don’t worry, we’ll be fine! Think of it as an adventure! You will need to check your schedule to see which days you have Careers class, and what time during the day you will need to be logging into our Google Meet to get started.
We will be learning many exciting things about the world of work. Much of the information will be research-based, and will be tailored individually to you based upon your interests, abilities, and values. Some topics are listed below:
- Career exploration resources
- Self-evaluation as it relates to career choice
- Educational requirements for chosen careers
- Post high school options
- Educational/training options
- Paying for College
- Job skills
- “Soft” skills
- Career planning
- Job training
- Values and ethics in the workplace
- Minimum wage vs. living wage
- Help Wanted ads
- Job applications
- Employment websites
- Resumes and cover letters
- Child Labor laws
- Work permits
- Tangible and Intangible rewards of working
- Employee benefits
Your Careers Course is in Google Classroom (not Edgenuity), and will be supplemented by teacher instruction and direction.
Here’s what a typical class period will look like:
- Log onto Google Classroom (classroom.google.com).
- Log in using your CASD email address and password.
Username example: email@example.com
Password: Student ID# (lunch number)
- Choose the Careers class.
- Click on the Google Meet link under the title.
- The Google Meet will be used to give instruction on how to proceed for the day. Some options:
- Teacher instruction
- Personal reflection and response
- Individual and group projects
- Panel discussions
- Individual assessments and surveys
- Interactive activities
- Student discussion boards
Attendance in daily class is expected. As mentioned above, you will log onto your Google meet at the time given on your schedule. Attendance will be taken. If you are absent from class, it will still be necessary to complete the day’s assignment! If you are not sure what that particular assignment is, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Career classroom is structured much like that of a real “work” environment. Therefore, you should treat many of the expectations below as criteria for your eventual evaluation as an employee.
- 1. Come to class on time. Good employees are never late!
- 2. Log on quickly to your Google Classroom Careers class (directions above). It is unprofessional to “hang out” and socialize at work!
- 3. Show courtesy and respect to teacher, classmates, and your electronic equipment. It is important that workplace relationships be positive and professional.
- 4. Come prepared for class daily, with paper and a writing utensil. As an employee, it is vital that you are prepared for your workday.
- 5. When you return after an absence, please make up missing work promptly. In a real job, you would need to stay and complete anything you missed, so expect to give extra time in the classroom as well.
- 6. Do your absolute best in class. Your boss would expect you to perform a job so that it is a good reflection on him as well as on your work ethic and abilities.
- 7. No excuses! Take responsibility for any issues you have been a part of during your workday. Don’t blame others for things that you did incorrectly or ineffectively. Know what you did wrong, and correct it for the next time.
- 8. Cut out the drama! Drama does not belong in the workplace – leave it at home! Even your mood can indicate drama in your life – forget it while you are at work and put a smile on your face!
- 9. Teamwork is important in the workplace. It is important that you work well with others. That will include things like contributing to the work being done, as well as getting along with fellow employees while you work.
A Excellent - 92-100%
B Good - 83-91%
C Average - 74-82%
D Poor, Needs Improvement - 65-73%
F Failure - 64%-Below
You will use the Community Portal to check your grades. Click the blue hyperlink to get started. It’s important for you to check your grades on a REGULAR basis! Missing assignments will show up as a zero so that you realize it hasn’t been received. You will need to contact me to discuss any grades that you do not believe to be correct.
I am available for questions on Wednesday during the following hours for questions and concerns, at the meeting link posted in the Classroom stream:
10:00 – 12:00
12:30 – 2:50
If you have any questions or concerns that cannot be handled during office hours, please feel free to email me at email@example.com. or through Edgenuity and I will return your email as soon as I am able.
I look forward to having you in my Careers class!!