Early American History
AP US History
Bienvenida, Bonjour, Wilkommen & Nie How Mah from Mr. Foltz!
This Early American History class is not only about the past, it is a light on the present and a talisman for the future. Benjamin Franklin played with technology as his hobby. Lewis & Clark were role-models of exploration and the gathering of scientific information. Thaddeus Stevens defended public education so that all people could become contributing members of society. General Grant moved America forward with tenacity so that all people could be free and equal. These important topics have not gone away: In the Information Age, they are even more important now than in the past. At the Career Magnet School we are utilizing science, technology, engineering and mathmatics with an interdiciplinary approach. Your children are inheriting a global village that is interconnected through economics, transportation, environmental issues, and personal relationships. National borders are becoming irrelevant, and I encourage all of my students to travel internationally and participate in student exchange programs. The journey is the destination.
Ladies from the Civil War....
Geography is where it is at....
Ambrose, Stephen. Undaunted Courage
- Boorstin, Daniel. The Discoverers
- Diamond, Jared. Collapse
- Friedman, Thomas. The World is Flat
- Hoch, Bradley. Thaddeus Stevens
- Horwitz, Tony. Confederates in the Attic
- Miller, Randall. Pennsylvania: History of the Commonwealth
- Orwell, George. 1984
- Schlosser, Eric. Fast Food Nation
- Standage, Tom. History of the World in Six Glasses
- Theroux, Paul. Old Patagonian Express
- Weiner, Eric. The Geography of Bliss
- Zakaria, Fareed. The Post-American World
My international experience includes;
in high school, participated in a Mission of Peace to the Soviet Union
attended Humberside University in Hull, England for one year
worked as a dog sledding teacher in Ousdal, Norway for six months
taught English to children in Hagen, Germany for two years
hiked the Andes near Lima, Peru
- December, 2009 rode chicken buses through Guatemala
- December, 2010 visited my nephew and his wife in Bogota, Colombia
- December, 2011 rode the TGV trains around France and enjoyed amazing food
- December 2012 a circle tour of The South
- June, 2014 Beijing, Xian & Shanghail
- December, 2014 Oaxaca, Mexico
- December, 2016 Honeymoon to southern Chile
- November, 2017 & 2018 CASD-Israel student exchange program
- December 2o18 a week in Moscow
My education consists of the following degrees;
- 1994 History BA
- 1998 Social Studies Education, BSED
- 2002 Masters of Geo-Environmental with a concentration on land use planning and farmland preservation
- 2008 Supervisory certificate in social studies
During the summers I work as the park naturalist at Caledonia State Park. Removing poisonous snakes from campsites is always exciting. The picture above has a Copperhead in the box, and in the picture below I am holding a watersnake.
Giving Russian honey bees their new home.
When I'm not travelling, I enjoy hiking, reading, and taking care of my cats, whom I got from the Cumberland Valley Animal Shelter. I also play with bees and bears.
Mariah; The Lion Queen
Welcome to Melville & Mabel.
Degrees and Certifications:
Mr. Wesley Foltz
Life is a celebration and every day is a gift.