English as a Second Language (ESL)
These are suggestions on how to help your child to be a successful learner.
- Tell your child you believe in him or her.
- Let he or she know when they have done something well and praise them for their efforts.
- Talk, read, and sing to your child in any language.
- Have a positive, can do attitude towards school, learning, and your child's teachers. They are there to help your child be successful. Talk to your child's teacher(s), ask questions about your child's learning and homework.
- Involve your extended family, and friends in encouraging your child to do well in school and work hard.
- Limit TV watching.
- Make sure your child does his or her homework every night. If possible have a special place for them to work.
- Treat everyone with respect and kindness.
- Encourage your child to follow directions, and participate in class by listening, paying attention, asking and answering questions.
- Encourage your child to come to class prepared by having books, pencils, notebooks, workbooks and homework as necessary.
- If your child misses school, have them make up the work he or she missed.