Mr. Powanda 5-2/5-4
Our literacy instruction will be following The Daily Five framework. The Daily Five is a structure that helps students develop the daily habits of reading, writing, and working independently that will lead to a lifetime of literacy independence.
An important part of becoming a successful independent reader is being able to choose “good fit” books. In class we have started an all-year-long conversation about how to choose good fit books. Read below to find out more about what a good fit book is and how to find one:
I PICK Good Fit Books
1. I choose a book
2. Purpose – Why do I want to read it?
3. Interest – Does it interest me?
4. Comprehend – Am I understanding what I read?
5. Know – Do I know most of the words?
* All It Takes is Four “Did you know? By reading four or more books over the summer, kids can avoid the ‘summer slide,’ or gap in academic skills, when they return to school in the fall.” This is a very powerful statement and very true.
* Let Them Choose Forget asking kids to read the latest Newbery tearjerker. According to a Scholastic survey, 91 percent of kids are more likely to finish books they choose themselves.
* Top of the TESTS Kids who read a million words a year score in the top 2 percent on standardized tests. A million words may sound like a lot, but it’s only about 25 average-length novels.
* Big Vocabularies Kids learn 4,000-12,000 new words every year reading. That means three months without books can make a huge difference in their vocabularies test scores and more.9/11: Never Forget.That is the message being advocated today through social media and through emotional remembrances across the country for what will be the 15th anniversary of the tragic events of September 11.
September 11, 2001 Around The World https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90zPfvQvbFA
Homeward Angels, a powerful 9/11 tribute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I6i0crmZMU
9/11 Tribute to the Firefighters 343 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqzSAKV5ASM
BraveHeart - A 9/11 Firefighter Tribute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT6tCQioI9E
9/11 SEPTEMBER 11 TRIBUTE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epgl5XzBYYs
9/11 Music Video: Evanescence My Immortal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crhXbwiomqU
Primary Literacy Objective: