Registration for the Summer Learning Program is now closed.
Information regarding teacher and classroom assignments has been emailed to the email address used for registration. Make sure you check your spam folder. Attendance on June 13 is mandatory.
Middle School Summer Learning Program (SLP)
Chambersburg Area School District will host a five-week secondary Summer Learning Program as an option for students to recover credit for courses that were failed during the school year. The program is available to CASD students who need to recover credits and were enrolled in grades 6-8 during the 2021-2022 school year. The program is being offered at no cost to families.
Middle School Retention Policy:
To be promoted to the next grade level, students must satisfy the following requirements:
- Students must pass three (3) core classes AND one other core or two related arts classes. Of the three required core classes, one of those credits must be from math, one from English language arts, and the other from social studies or science.
- Students cannot fail a core class more than one time during the middle school years. Core classes include: English language arts, math, science, and social studies.
Middle School Summer Learning Program 2022 Dates:
Monday, June 13 - ATTENDANCE IS MANDATORY: 8:30 AM -11:30 AM
- Students must provide their own transportation to and from CASHS on Day 1.
- If you do not attend Day 1, you cannot participate in the program. No exceptions will be made regarding Day 1 attendance.
After Day 1, teachers are available for support.
- Tuesday, June 14 through Thursday, June 16 (no support sessions on Friday)
- Monday, June 20 through Thursday, June 23 (no support sessions on Friday)
- Monday, June 27 through Thursday, June 30 (no support sessions on Friday)
- Tuesday, July 5 through Friday, July 8 (no support sessions on Monday)
- Monday, July 11 through Thursday, July 14 (no support sessions on Friday)
- Virtual and in-person teacher office hours: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
- Students must provide their own transportation to and from CASHS.
- Attendance is optional; however, if students are not keeping up with their weekly progress (completing approximately 20% of the course per week), they will be dropped from the program.
Locations for Support:
- The program will be held at CASHS.
- Classrooms will be assigned for Day 1 - specific room numbers will be emailed to students the week of June 6.
- After Day 1 - Teachers will be available to meet with students in the CASHS Career Lab.
- Parents/Guardians MUST provide a valid email address.
- All communication will be sent to the email address used at the time of registration.
Middle School Summer Learning Program Format:
Coursework will be completed through Edgenuity. CASD teachers monitor progress, grade specific assignments, offer tutoring, assist with course content and answer questions. Students must complete each remedial course and earn a grade of at least 60% to pass. Students are expected to complete all assignments and must finish all coursework within the provided time frame. Extensions will not be granted. Parents and students will receive a notification from the teacher to acknowledge the completion of the course.
Middle School Courses Offered:
Students may recover up to two courses. See chart below for available courses.*
Social Studies 6
Social Studies 7
Social Studies 8
*All middle school courses are Edgenuity Credit Recovery or Booster Courses
Credit and Grades:
Students who successfully complete a credit recovery or booster course with a 60% or higher will receive credit for the course, which will count toward promotion. The final grade will be reported as a D on student records.