CASD Bullying and Harassment Reporting
The Chambersburg Area School District (CASD) is committed to providing a safe, positive learning environment for District students. CASD recognizes that bullying creates an atmosphere of fear and intimidation, detracts from the safe environment necessary for student learning, and may lead to more serious violence. Therefore, CASD prohibits bullying by District students. CASD encourages students who have been bullied to promptly report such activity.
CASD directs that complaints of bullying shall be investigated promptly, and corrective action shall be taken when allegations are verified. Confidentiality of all parties shall be maintained, consistent with the District’s legal and investigative obligations. No reprisals or retaliation shall occur as a result of good faith reports of bullying.
Bullying and Harassment includes three important components:
1. Bullying is aggressive behavior that involves unwanted, negative actions.
2. Bullying involves a pattern of behavior repeated over time.
3. Bullying involves an imbalance of power or strength.
Bullying can take on many forms:
1. Verbal bullying including derogatory comments and bad names
2. Bullying through social exclusion or isolation
3. Physical bullying such as hitting, kicking, shoving, and spitting
4. Bullying through lies and false rumors
5. Having money or other things taken or damaged by students who bully
6. Being threatened or being forced to do things by students who bully
7. Racial bullying
8. Sexual bullying
9. Cyber bullying
The schools of the Chambersburg Area School District should be places where students come to learn, question, and evolve; bullying and harassment prevents many of these things from occurring and creates an atmosphere where people are unhappy and uncomfortable.