February 24, 2021 - Reopening Update & Information
Dear CASD families,
A motion was made and approved at the February 23rd Regular Board Meeting to return students to Hybrid AA/BB In-person instruction on Monday, March 1st. Please note the following important reminders as we transition to hybrid instruction:
- Families have three options for instruction: Please view the options below that are available for all CASD families. If you are unsure of the method of instruction for your child(dren), please view your Sapphire account. If you did not respond to the recent election survey, your child(ren)’s instructional method will default to what was chosen previously. To change the method of instruction, please contact your child’s school office directly.
- Hybrid AA/BB In-person Instruction: “AA/BB” means that students in the “A” group will attend in person on Mondays and Tuesdays. Students in the “B” group will attend in person on Thursdays and Fridays. Students with last names A-K will attend Mondays and Tuesdays, and students with last names L-Z will attend Thursdays and Fridays (To keep families together, students with different last names in the same household will attend based on the last name of the oldest sibling.). When students are not in person, they may either be working independently or be in a virtual lesson with their teacher. On Wednesdays, all students will complete assigned course work independently.
- Virtual, Teacher-led Instruction: Following our current model, students will log into Google classrooms/Google Meet and receive live virtual instruction from teachers on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. On Wednesdays, students will complete assigned course work independently.
- Chambersburg Area Virtual Education (CAVE): Students engage in virtual learning at their own pace by logging into the CASD learning management system and completing assignments. Student schedules are determined by the parent/guardian.
- Students with IEPs and ESL Level I students will attend Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. These students include Itinerant, Supplemental and full-time students with IEPs covering Learning Support, Autistic Support, Life Skills Support, Intensive Learning Support, and Emotional Support. The following students will follow the “AA/BB” model: those with Speech only IEPs, Gifted Support, and students with 504 Service Agreements. Students who have out-of-district placements will continue to follow their out-of-district schedule.
- Facial Covering Requirement: In accordance with our approved CASD Health and Safety Plan and the PA Department of Health’s Universal Masking Order, students returning for in-person instruction will be required to wear a facial covering while on school buses and on the school property.
- A “face covering” can be made of a variety of synthetic or natural fabrics, including cotton, silk, or linen. A “face covering” may be factory-made, sewn by hand, or be improvised from household items, including, but not limited to, scarfs, bandanas, t-shirts, sweatshirts, or towels. Shields without an additional facial covering are not permitted.
- COVID-19 Parent/Guardian & Student Expectations: Please review the expectations for parents/guardians regarding prescreening symptoms and when it is appropriate to keep students home. Click here.
- Transportation: Please review the transportation information (bus number, pick-up time, location, etc) for your child(dren) in their Sapphire account.
- Chromebooks: Please take a moment to review the Chromebook Handbook & Policy Guide in preparation for students returning to classes. Students are not to bring charging cables with them into buildings.
- Free Meals: Meals will continue to be provided as outlined by the CASD food services department on their meal pick up page.
- Extracurriculars: Athletics will continue as outlined in the CASD “Return to Sports” Health and Safety Plan. For information regarding co/extracurriculars, please contact the club/activity staff advisor directly.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to your building principal or myself.
Dr. Dion Betts
Superintendent of Schools
Chambersburg Area School District