August 5, 2020 - Virtual Reopening Information
Dear CASD Families,
Last evening, August 4th, the CASD school board voted to approve the phased School Reopening Health and Safety Plan for the 2020-2021 school year. This plan includes Virtual Online-Only School Opening for all students (K-12) beginning Monday, August 24 (moved from August 20). Over 1300 community members joined the virtual meeting as the reopening plan was presented and discussed. If you were unable to attend, you can view the meeting on our CASD Youtube Channel. Below are some highlights for our virtual reopening:
- Laptop Distribution: every CASD student (K-12) will receive a laptop from the District. You will receive more information from your principal in the near future if you have not already. More information regarding our initiative to provide technology to every student can be found at www.casdonline.org/1to1.
- Use of a Learning Management System to provide robust instruction utilizing award-winning educational programs Odysseyware (Grades K-5) and Edgenuity (Grades 6-12). Students will learn on grade-level standards based material (not optional enrichment activities).
- Grading, Credit and Promotion: students are required to participate in instruction to receive grades, credit and promotion.
- School Attendance: regulations will be followed. Attendance will be monitored digitally and via participation in live lessons.
- Live Lessons: students will participate in live meetings and lessons from teachers. They will also learn and complete interactive assignments using laptops and the learning management system independently. It is important that teachers and students develop relationships and community of learners as they do when in-person.
- Family and Child Resources: School counseling and other supports are available to children just as when school is in-person.
- Sample School Day: sample instructional days are available for parents/guardians to understand how a virtual day of learning will look for students. View schedules here.
- Extra and Co-curriculars: all sports, music, extra and co-curricular activities will continue at this time. The District has created a CASD Return to Sports Plan, a PA requirement, that must be followed for sports to continue. View the plan here.
- Reopening Criteria: the CASD Health and Safety Plan contains specific key factors and criteria for reopening under an A/B or blended model. Dates will be set to regularly evaluate and decide on the possibility of students returning for in-person instruction within the school year. Moving forward, regular school board meetings will include an update to the community as to the status of an in-person return to school.
- Chambersburg Area Virtual Education (CAVE) will remain a viable alternate option for students to receive flexible instruction at their own pace. Rather than following a predetermined schedule as is provided above, CAVE students are able to set their own schedule and learn independently. More information can be found at https://www.casdonline.org/cave.
- Internet Access: a list of free internet sites throughout the community will be made available to you in the near future.
- Meal Program: we are exploring continuing a meal distribution program and are actively seeking approval to serve meals at alternative locations through the Department of Education. Further information will be forthcoming.
- Details About Your Child: You will receive specific information from your principal, and prior to the return to in-school instruction, the transportation department will send notification of bus pick-up and drop-off times and location.
- Students with IEPS: Special education students will follow the virtual model as outlined. Teachers and administrators will be in touch with families to outline specifics as it relates to IEP goals.
- Reopening Information Hub: For up-to-date information regarding reopening, the full Health and Safety Plan, FAQs, and more, please visit www.casdonline.org/reopening.
The decision to open virtually was not taken lightly and included countless hours of deliberation and careful planning. Our goal remains to return students to classrooms as soon as our reopening criteria is met. Until that time, I am confident that our reopening plan provides teachers, staff, and students with the tools necessary to engage in robust instruction.
Dr. Dion Betts
Superintendent of Schools
Chambersburg Area School District